Travel to Iceland
Please note that passengers travel at their own risk and are responsible for obtaining all relevant documentation and authorizations before their travel. PLAY does not accept any responsibility for passengers who are denied entry to their destination resulting from an invalid or insufficient documents.
Passengers are responsible for adhering to domestic quarantine & isolation rules at their destination and any fines related to violation of those rules.
Iceland travel checklist
The main rules regarding quarantine and testing at the Icelandic border can be found hereLink opens in a new tab. This link will take you to the official information page about COVID-19 in Iceland. The Directorate of Health and The Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management are responsible for the website.
- Preregistration: All passengers traveling to Iceland are required to fill out a pre-registration form prior to their arrival. See all information hereLink opens in a new tab.
- Negative certificate: All passengers are required to present a negative PCR test for COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) before boarding our flights. The test must have been done no more than 72 hours prior to departure of the first leg of your flight journey. Further information about the PCR test certificate can be found hereLink opens in a new tab.
Passengers who present a vaccination certificate or a certificate of previous infection only need to be quarantined until a negative result is obtained from the border testing.
Requirements for a valid certificate:
- Certificate must be issued in Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, or English.
- First name and last name (as in travel documents).
- Date of birth.
- When test was performed (date).
- Where test was performed (country/city/address).
- Name of laboratory/issuer of the certificate.
- Date of certificate.
- Phone number of laboratory or responsible authority.
- Type of test performed (PCR test or antibody test with ELISA/serologic assay**).
- Result of the test (PCR test positive for SARS-CoV-2 or antibodies present).
3. Test upon arrival in Iceland: You are required to get tested for COVID-19 once you arrive at Keflavik International Airport. The test is free of charge to you, but please note that this may change depending on decisions made by Icelandic authorities.
4. Quarantine: See information about quarantine rules hereLink opens in a new tab. While you are waiting for the results of the test, you are required to stay in quarantine. If you receive a negative result, you must continue to quarantine and take a second COVID-19 test 5 days after your arrival. If you receive a negative result from the second test, you don't have to quarantine anymore but must adhere to the current restrictions in Iceland.
Travelers that do not receive a test result within 24 hours can assume the test is negative.
Additional information for valid certificates can be found hereLink opens in a new tab.
Rakning C-19 mobile application
We recommend all our passengers to download the "Rakning C-19 app" found in Apple App Store and Google Google Play Store.
It's primarily used to communicate results from testing and assist health authorities with contact tracing if necessary.
Quarantine and isolation rules while in Iceland
You are required to familiarize yourself with the current restrictions and quarantine and isolation rules in Iceland. Quarantine and containment zones can be found hereLink opens in a new tab.
Please click hereLink opens in a new tab to view the isolation rules in Iceland and click hereLink opens in a new tab to see the quarantine rules in Iceland. This link will take you to the official information page about COVID-19 in Iceland. The Directorate of Health and The Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management are responsible for the website.
Additional information about current home-based quarantine rules in Iceland can be found hereLink opens in a new tab. This link will take you to the official website for the Directorate of Health.
The do's and dont's while quarantining
This information is taken from the official COVID-19 website in Iceland.
You are allowed to
Go for a short walk close by your place of quarantine
Use the flybus from the airport
Drive a private car from the airport
Take a taxi from the airport
Go to the doctor, but call first
You are not allowed to
Go to touristic places or go sightseeing
Go to the site of the volcanic eruption
Be in crowded places
Use the bus, domestic flights or public transportation
Go for a drive
Go shopping or to a restaurant
Stay in a mobile home
Stay in a hostel
Border screening & quarantine exemptions
Click hereLink opens in a new tab to view the exemptions from border screening & quarantine.
How do I book a COVID-19 test in Iceland?
If you have an Icelandic social security number you can book your COVID-19 test via www.heilsuvera.is
If you do not have an Icelandic social security number you can book your COVID-19 test via the C-rakning app.
Further information can be found hereLink opens in a new tab.